Tests at Unity Central health clinic
For a patient attending Unity Central Health Clinic the results process is as follows:
For Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea tests
- If all results are negative and no further action needed then you will get a text in 2 working days after your test.
- If a result is positive or needs further action then you may have already been given an appointment to return the same day or soon after OR we will call you within 2 working days
- If you do not give us permission to text and do not hear from us within 3 weeks of the test then you can assume all tests are negative (this is known as “No news is good news”)
For blood tests for HIV, Syphilis, Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C
- If all results are negative and no further action needed then you will get a text in 2 to 3 weeks after your test.
- If a result is positive or needs further action then we will contact you within 2 to 3 weeks after your test (this may be earlier for a HIV result that needs action).
For other tests you will be informed by the clinician you see when and how to expect results.
As a confidential clinic we are unable to provide results if you phone us.
Texts will either inform you that everything is fine, or ask you to call or attend clinic.
If you have symptoms, then you may receive the following results on the day:
- Evidence of any urinary tract infections
- Evidence of gonorrhoea, trichomonas vaginalis or bacterial vaginosis (from microscopy)
- Evidence of inflammation
- Evidence of thrush
- Evidence of warts or other skin conditions
- Evidence of suspected herpes
- Evidence of pregnancy
In some cases, treatment may be offered on the day and tests for further infection or for confirmation will be sent to the lab. Any tests sent to the lab will follow the same results process as an asymptomatic test.
Point of care HIV test
If you are at risk of HIV, you may be offered a point of care HIV test. This is a finger-prick test that looks for exposure to HIV from three months prior to the test being taken. You will receive this result on the day. This test is only offered to specific patient groups and is not part of our routine screen.
Tests at other Unity clinics
- Some clinics are able to text results as above (though time lines for all tests will be 2-3 weeks) but others have a “No news is good news” system which means if you have not heard anything 3 weeks after your test then it is all negative.