Domestic violence and abuse

What can I do if I have been affected by domestic violence and abuse?

Domestic violence and abuse is not acceptable.

Important: If you feel in immediate danger, dial 999 straight away and wait in a safe place for the police to arrive.

Domestic violence and abuse (DVA) is controlling, coercive, threatening, degrading or violent behaviour, by a partner, ex-partner, family member or carer. Domestic abuse can include, but is not limited to: Coercive control (a pattern of intimidation, degradation, isolation and control with the use or threat of physical or sexual violence), psychological abuse, emotional abuse, physical abuse or sexual abuse, economic abuse, harassment and stalking, and online or digital abuse.

It will be taken seriously if you talk about this with a health professional.

There are many organisations that can help. They can help with a range of issues from crisis intervention, advocacy, housing, to safety planning.  See the links below.

If you know someone who is affected by domestic violence or abuse, you can report it anonymously to Crimestoppers. If you are yourself have been a victim of domestic abuse you can report this to the police.

Useful Links for help

Locate a confidential service

Find your local Pharmacy or Clinic and book a confidential appointment.

Online Accounts

Find out More